Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In the Home Stretch!

As the semester winds down and the winter quickly encroaches, I have come to the realization that this has been a year of change and growth. I started out the semester trying to find my way back to the way things were only to discover those were the things I had outgrown. It's always a sobering moment when you realize the world you used to know so well has gone and caught itself in a freeze frame of sorts; the pieces just don't fit anymore.


These past few months have been trying as the things I thought I knew and understood turned out to have false bottoms like the desk drawer of a paranoid schizophrenic. A drawer that concealed ugly secrets, which were desperately hidden in hopes the true metaphorical head of the villainous trickster would never be seen. Funny thing about those who stir the pot; eventually no amount of stirring will prevent the stew from getting burned. There's really no going back, and I'm more than O.K. with that.

While it was a harsh reality check, it was necessary. I've learned there are more important things in life than going through the motions and embracing the trivial. I've learned to always question and not play into the manipulation that comes with passive aggressive behavior. I also learned that I have some great people I can genuinely call friends that make all the other stuff seem so tiny and insignificant. 
 


I have gained a new appreciation for the work I do and my co-workers. I am lucky to work with a group of people who make my job fun and keep me on my toes. Teaching is still rewarding despite the bumps in the road and those that seem impossible to reach. Giving up forensics to focus more on the opportunities at hand wasn't as jarring as I thought it would be and actually find it to be quite refreshing. This last semester alone I:
  • helped a transgender student remind fellow students and instructors that the institution was one that embraced diversity, which was also written into policy. 
  • literally made an impromptu trip to attend a conference that would create potential for future programming and coordination opportunities.
  • learned empathy after seeing the full scope of how students process and deal with their stress levels throughout the semester; some better than others. 
  • coordinated efforts between various clubs and organizations on campus hoping to improve communication and encourage collaboration among the student body. 
  • grew an appreciation for the student leaders that work with our department and all the hard work they do. 
  • had a lot of fun getting to know my co-workers a bit more and take part in the occasional office prank or two. 
  • fully embraced the fact that there is only one doctor: THE DOCTOR
It's been a crazy insane semester, and I am so glad it is over. I am looking forward to traveling and seeing old friends over winter break. As the sun sets on the final days of the year 2011, I hope to go into the new year moving forwardno turning back.









3 comments:

  1. I totally "got" this post! Good for you for recognizing the "truth" from the "lies" -so to speak. It's awlays a great feeling when you know you're growing as a person and learning the lessons life gives us. So many of us, get the lessons but don't learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends. Reflection. Hope. Enjoy them all and have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Yvonne Totally! Recognizing the truths from the lies can be a difficult journey, but so liberating in the end.

    @Carole, thanks so much. I am so looking forward to this break.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments?